Monday, August 22, 2011

Lots and Lots of Fruit & Veges

After church on Sunday we went to a different feria in Zapote. It was completely amazing. I have never seen so much fruit and vegetables in my entire life. I want to go back there every week that I can! I was furiously taking pictures and trying to soak up the cultural experience. Keep in mind that 500 colones equals $1 when you see the prices on these unbelievable foods and it was usually priced per kilogram. There were also people walking around selling tons of stuff...it was so much fun.

Emma loved the handmade jewelry stand















Will was in heaven...he's already eaten them all


Where we live there are two main soccer teams...you have to decide which one you are and you are a loser if you switch teams. One is called La Liga (red and black) and the other is Saprissa (purple and yellow). In the past few years, Saprissa has been awesome and most people we run into like this team. Of course, that makes Will Savell want to go for the underdog so we are a La Liga family. We are now looking for a flag to hang in our house and will be attending at La Liga game in the near future. Saw this jersey hanging over a fruit stand so I had to take a picture of it. We did hear that La Liga has been winning games lately, so it's probably a good time to be a Ligista (La Liga fan).

feria cart getting filled up

Costa Rican apples...look and taste different

Tree Tomato that tastes like a mix between a blackberry and a peach










This feria was in the parking lot of a bull fighting ring...for real. Apparently the bull never gets hurt, but there are no guarantees for the people. I will not be attending one of these.

Tons of traffic as we're leaving...this is a popular feria
Jack picked out a piggy bank. This is an old-school one that is handmade with no opening in the bottom. Fernando said this teaches the kids how to save their money. You have to wait until the piggy bank is full, then you break it open and get your money out. Simple.

Emma of course picked out a cute headband to wear to school that "will go good" with her uniform. She is dying to start school so it's always on her mind these days.

All of our feria purchases for about $10-$12 total. I will try to list out everything we bought: limon mandarinas (great for juice), oritos (baby bananas), potatoes, plantains, carrots, cucumbers, green onions, cilantro, star fruit, oranges (which are greenish-yellow here), pineapple, mamon chinos, beet, onions, strawberries and tree tomatoes

Then after we got home Fernando advised me not to wear my wedding rings out anymore. He said they are too "flashy" and would make me an easy target to rob. This has made me very sad. I love my wedding rings and have never really gone without them. I had to take a picture before I took them off


1 comment:

  1. Love this post! Sad about the rings...but I know Fernando is looking out for you. I want some pineapple! yummm!

    ReplyDelete