Monday, August 15, 2011

Costa Rica Mother's Day


Today is Mother's Day. Since we already had a Mother's Day in the States, I'm double dipping on this holiday this year. In Costa Rica, they shut down businesses and schools and I even saw a fireworks show outside our house last night. They love their mamas around here! In church yesterday they had the moms stand up and handed each of us a chocolate rose with a card and then sang some songs about moms. It was kind of funny, but they equated it to singing patriotic songs on the 4th of July. I have no idea what the songs were actually saying, but I saw the word "madre" mentioned a lot.

I want to be the best mother I can be. God has equipped me with everything I need in Him and He has given me these children specifically for me to raise. I truly want to glorify Him in all I do, and I'm trying to figure out what that means as a missionary mom. A former missionary couple back in the States told us a year ago they had 2 specific pieces of advice they wanted us to hear. One was to get marriage counseling before we left to learn how we each handle stress, extreme difficulty, fear and conflict. Marriage is constantly under attack and especially on the mission field. The other bit of advice was for me. They said they saw family after family leave the mission field because of the mom. If the mom approaches this new life as an exciting adventure and full of faith in front of her kids, then the kids will be this way. If the mom is gripped with fear and sadness about everything then the kids will be too.

It has become even more evident to me here that dependence on the Lord is the key to being a good mom. My time with the Lord in reading and prayer is of utmost importance and I have to make this a priority. My prayer is that the Lord keeps me patient with them, training them up in the Lord and living out a life of faith in front of them. All the while keeping me upbeat about our new life in front of my kids. I'll save the crying for Will at night after the kids are in bed!

Many people have asked how Emma and Jack are doing. I can honestly say that they have been fine. They really do like everything and know that God has called us to this. Jack pretty much goes with the flow and does whatever Emma does, so she has definitely set the tone for him. Will and I have been able to spend a lot of quality time with them which has helped a lot. They know how to easily call family and friends back in the States and they are loving that. They are very flexible and have adapted very well.

I had many breakdowns back in the States over the past few months before we left. There has been a lot to process and get used to here, but I've been okay now that we're here. Will is a very good leader of our family and has done an excellent job figuring things out. It definitely takes me longer to "put myself out there" and he has allowed me to gradually step into the waters here without pushing me. I was even trying to pick out words I recognized in the sermon on Sunday and I think I'm gonna try to figure out money today. This has kept me from getting overwhelmed and has kept my spirits positive.

I'm glad we moved here a month before school starts. Our orientation is August 24-28 and classes for us and the kids start on the 29th. All our bags are unpacked and groceries are bought and we still have a week and a half before the busyness begins. It's been nice to slow down, spend time as a family, and gradually work things out without having the stress of school on top of it. We even had a family movie night last night which we haven't done in a really long time.

The main question we are always asked is "how are you doing...and I mean really?" Our true answer is life is good and we really are doing fine.

"It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed." Deuteronomy 31:8

1 comment: