Monday, May 27, 2013

Selling My Hair Dryer


So the packing process has begun. This will be another international move for us in two years, and we've added a person to our family which just means more stuff to deal with. One day about a month ago, a missionary here was asking if anyone had a hair dryer for sale. I sat there, thought about it, and decided that yes I did have a hair dryer that I would be willing to sell. And it was kind of tough for me. I even took a picture of my hair dryer before the lady came to pick it up. Not because I care about that hair dryer at all. In fact, I think I've used a hair dryer twice since we've lived here. It's the fact that the selling of my hair dryer meant that the purging and packing process had officially begun. Again. And it's tough. It all came flooding back to me.

There are so many emotions that go along with moving anyway. As you sort through things, all the sentiments go along with it and that's exhausting to me. Then, once things are getting organized and cleaned out there is a sort of feeling of freedom and happiness. It's really weird. I remember my breaking point when we moved here was over my nail polish. Will told me I had to choose about 3 bottles to take with me, and I broke down and sobbed. I had just gotten a bunch of bottles for my birthday a month earlier, and I now had to get rid of them. (Poor Josh Warren had to sit there and watch me cry over this). I remember thinking that no one else has to do this. And no one else understands.

This time around it's a little easier. I don't find as much identity in my things anymore, and we're now moving back to what we know. We know we can get Yankee Candles and nice towels and clothes from Justice and homeschool materials easily, so we're not taking very much with us. We've said this time around we're only taking 8 suitcases. We came here with about 15. This might get really challenging in the end, but I'm hoping not. 

I packed one suitcase today and it made me tired. So I stopped. And now I'm blogging. I am definitely a procrastinator anyway, but blogging seems like that's important too...right?

We leave in less than 3 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. oh friend! I know this all too well! Praying for you through all of this transition...again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we close on our house on Friday. I am not done packing. And, I am reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete