Thursday, May 16, 2013

Calling of Thankfulness



I've recently read the book One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. Several of my missionary friends were talking about it and how much it impacted them, so I wanted to check it out. I have heard several disputes and arguments on the way she phrases feelings and emotions about God in the book, but I didn't read too much into her poetic language. I just really don't think like she does so sometimes it was hard for me to even follow her thought process! I am not a writer, poet, creative type at all, but I hung in there for the most part. Sometimes Will would have to translate for me (he's the poet in the family).

The point was to remember that there are things to be thankful for all around me. All the time. Every day. In every situation. As a missionary wife I feel that is so easy to forget. It is much easier to adopt the martyr mindset than to consciously be thankful for everything around me. And I love how she breaks it down so simply sometimes. Here are some of my favorite quotes.


“...life change comes when we receive life with thanks and ask for nothing to change.” 

“I want to see beauty. In the ugly, in the sink, in the suffering, in the daily, in all the days before I die, the moments before I sleep.” 

“And when I give thanks for the seemingly microscopic, I make a place for God to grow within me.” 

“Simplicity is ultimately a matter of focus.”

“A life contemplating the blessings of Christ becomes a life acting the love of Christ.” 


The author says a friend of hers had challenged her to write down one thousand gifts to be thankful for in life. She talks about how once she starting writing, it consumed her thoughts all day long and how that transformed her spiritual life. It has been a really good challenge for me to look for even the tiniest blessings to be thankful for. In fact, Will and I regularly look at each other and say "1000 gifts, 1000 gifts" when we've just been frustrated with something else in our day. Thankfulness is something we are all called to do as Christians and it really is transforming. 

What a good reminder for me.

So the next time I'm complaining, just look at me and say "1000 gifts".

Hopefully I'll take it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment