Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Rat in the Kitchen

One day I woke up and found this on our counter...



What you don't see is the morning before about half of another loaf of bread was eaten as well. Nothing else was touched in the kitchen. But this was on our kitchen counter which completely grossed me out.


Then the next morning we saw these ginormous footprints on our counter, probably looking for more bread.

It had walked on our stove top griddle and left grease footprints.


About a month earlier I saw a huge rat on our back patio coming out of our sewer drain, so I was assuming this is the same guy. We keep all our windows open in our house all the time, so maybe he just entered in the window and walked around looking for bread. (I quickly remembered that I put bread crumbs out for the birds every morning...no mas...turns out I was probably just feeding our rat friend). We didn't see any other evidence around that this monster was actually living in the house.

So after three mornings in a row, we decided to take action. Or should I say, Will decided to take action.

He bought two sticky mouse traps and taped them together and put cheese and bread in the middle. Will figured this would just slow him down until he could run into the kitchen. 

Will slept in the guest bedroom off the kitchen with our new video baby monitor...he was ready to pounce.

And yes, his plan was to "get" the rat with a machete. I didn't ask many questions about that. I just wanted the rat gone for good.

The anti-climactic ending is this...we shut the bottom kitchen windows and the rat never came back.

I am very happy about this ending.

Will is still ready with his machete.

No comments:

Post a Comment