Friday, November 11, 2011

Normal Missionaries?

Our church from home had their missions conference last month. Their theme is "Engage" to get our church body "engaged" in missions through different activities throughout the weekend with local missions, and by setting up posters in the lobby with all the foreign missionaries they support.

It was so weird but cool to see our poster in the lobby of Grace Evan. I have seen those posters for years, and it definitely got me all emotional when our missions pastor sent us a picture of our family's poster in the lobby. It's humbling to be among those rock star missionaries that are set up in that lobby. I definitely do not feel worthy, but I am so thankful that people are remembering and praying for us back at home. It is so felt and needed!

Speaking of other missionaries...

I am going to say honestly that I had a certain idea of what missionaries would be like. Kind of weird, kind of frumpy, kind of socially awkward...

Kind of like this...

Or like this...

Or even this...

And I know you think the same thing! I realize that we all have to be a little weird to leave our homes and do this thing called missions, but I really had a certain stereotype in my head before coming here. It has definitely been a nice surprise to have some pretty normal people in our trimester group (if you would call Will "normal" haha). We have heard from many people that our group is not the typical group...everyone gets along, everyone helps each other, and everyone truly enjoys being together. We feel very blessed to be a part of this trimester group. I should have known the Lord would tear down my judging mind and heart and love these people that I've only known for a short time. I know we will share an experience together this year that will bond us for life in a way we'll never have again.

Thank you Lord for proving to me that my expectations are limited and sinful! I completely underestimated Him like I always do.

Here is my class:

Ana (our Costa Rican Grammar teacher dressed up for a dance that day), Karen (from Pennsylvania going to Domican Republic), me, Kate (from Pennsylvania dressed up for a dance also), Jennie (from Montana staying in Costa Rica), Claudia (from Canada going to Mexico City), Rhonda (from West Virginia going to Bolivia) and Roseanne (from Pennsylvania going back)

All of us with our Costa Rican Phonetics teacher, Eugenia

Will's class
JD (from West Virginia going to Bolivia), Paul (from Alabama going to Peru), Jason (from Iowa going to Honduras), Will, and (Yung Sun from South Korea)
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment