Sunday, November 6, 2011

Halloweenish Party

The first major American holiday that we've missed is Halloween. I was wondering how I would be about that. Now that we've been here 3 months the newness has definitely worn off and we're realizing this is normal life for us now. I love the fall in the South, so it's been hard not seeing trees changing colors, pumpkins everywhere (we don't have pumpkins here) and football games.
My class from school decided we would get the kids together for a Halloweenish-type party. Everyone had to bring some food, candy and a game to share with the kids. It ended up being really fun! And my kids felt like they had a Halloween.
Emma and Jack asked if they could dress up, so I told them to just find whatever around the house and go for it. This is what they came up with:
Emma was Rapunzel with her long yellow hair and a dress. Jack was a "pajama king" which he kept getting mixed up and saying he was a "drama queen"...we had to correct that quickly

All lined up for bobbing for apples

Jack was an apple bobbing champ

And Emma dove right in

Afterward they decorated their apples with caramel and junk food. I thought this picture of a friend pretty much summed up the mess! The kids loved it of course.

Then we did some face painting. Jack wanted to be a dinosaur.

And Emma wanted to decorate Marcy's face as a lion

They had a lot of fun! Check out Marcy's lion that Emma did! She does not get any of her creative skills from me. I think Gloriana was painting Emma's face as a black cat. That black was hard to wash off!
The grownup gals decided to hang out around the table with the food
While all the men went upstairs into the man-cave. I wasn't even allowed up there to take their picture!

The kids were begging to paint our faces, and Jennie was nice enough to join in with the kids. You're such a fun mom Jennie.

I had to post this. I bought the kids some glow stars for their ceilings in their room. Looks pretty normal on the front right?

Then check out this amazing English translation on the back of the package. So you mean to tell me that no one was around anywhere who spoke English to help them out? I think Google Translate would have done a better job than this. So funny to me!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I think this translation makes the story oh so much better! Judging from the picture, it says exactly what it wanted to say.

    ReplyDelete