Sunday, October 30, 2011

Language Learning Panic

Language learning is a weird thing. It's exciting at first, then frustrating, then overwhelming, then maddening, then understandable, then fun, then back to frustrating and on and on. We are two months into school, and I feel this range of emotion on a daily basis. If I were studying Spanish in the USA, it would be a completely different feeling. I am really enjoying school and learning Spanish, but it's the constant transfer into daily living that will drive you insane. We met two doctors here a few years ago, and they said there was a lot about language school that's harder than medical school. Mainly because there is no escape from it.

Here is an example of what is needed regularly:

And if I see one more commercial that makes language learning look easy, I think I'm gonna scream. I keep seeing this satisfaction guaranteed, learn language in your sleep, learn it in 60 days or your money back...blah blah blah
I think I had certain expectations about how quickly I would learn Spanish and that's just not happening. Now there's this thing that has set in that I would like to call "language learning panic". I keep hearing that this panic will subside, so I'm praying that it will and just keep plugging away day by day. I like listening to Spanish on tv, reading signs or listening to other people's conversations and trying to figure it out. But...it's a whole other thing when someone starts speaking to me in Spanish. I wish I didn't care about being embarrassed, but I do. I wish I would just jump in and try, but it scares me. I wish it would all just sink in quickly, but it's not. I usually draw a complete blank when someone talks to me. I'm doing fine in school, so why can't it transfer over into speaking confidently on the streets?

I see the panic in my kids too. They used to think Spanish was fun, would attempt to talk to kids on the playground and would ask me about words all the time. Now they run and hide behind me or just run away when someone speaks to them in Spanish. I'm telling you, it's the panic that is so frustrating!
The famous saying around school from everyone is "poco a poco" (little by little)
It reminds me of how inadequate I am and gives me a greater dependence on the Lord. That's a good thing, but wow what a process! My prayer life is more of a constant state of asking for the Lord's help in everything I do, because I just can't do it on my own.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Philippians 4:13
"Rejoice always, pray continuously, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ" 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
"May the Lord of peace himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance" 2 Thessalonians 3:16

I saw this picture and my first thought was, "She must be learning Spanish"...hahaha


3 comments:

  1. You texted me in Spanish. That's a start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep, I feel your pain sista! We started subjunctive this last week and I feel like I am just a mush of alphabet soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your transparency. It IS such a difficult process!! And really, it never ends. Not to discourage you at all - I just have to focus on how far I have come and not how far I still have to go. Yes, the constant state of being completely out of your "element" is hard....but the dependency on the Lord is sweet.

    ReplyDelete